Historical "NOTES" About Early Ohio Counties
&
Washington County Townships
1788-1980



Researched & Compiled by Debbie Noland Nitsche
December 2003 (Updated Dec. 2008)



Township History & Geographic Information Includes:
History of other Ohio Counties;  Settlements & Communities;  Post Offices;  Cemeteries;  Waterways;  Interstates
State & County Roads;  Islands;  Garrisons;  Covered Bridges;  Boarders;  Early Settlers;  Underground Railroad


PLEASE READ BEFORE CONTINUING


Understanding some of the geographic history of Washington County, can become somewhat confusing at times. But to understand some of it is very important to the history of our ancestors who either settled or only stayed for a short time, before migrating further west.

I originally compiled the NOTES below for my own personal use for the purpose of assisting me with my own research in Washington County, Ohio.

THE READER "MUST" KEEP IN MIND THAT THE INFORMATION BELOW IS ‘NOT PERFECT.’ AND BY NO MEANS IS IT 100% COMPLETE. THE RESOURCES I USED (listed below) ARE MY SOURCES. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOME OF THE NAMES ARE DUPLICATED BY BEING CALLED BY ANOTHER NAME, OR IS NOT LISTED AT ALL.


IT IS "VERY IMPORTANT" THAT YOU VERIFY THE INFORMATION LISTED HERE. PLEASE REFER TO THIS DATABASE ONLY AS A "GUIDE" IN YOUR RESEARCH.

-----Debbie Noland Nitsche


REFERENCES USED TO COMPILE THIS DATABASE:
Washington County Ohio to 1980, WCHS
Washington County, Ohio 1788-1881, H. Z. Williams & Bros.
History of Marietta & Washington County, OH, Martin R. Andrews, MA, 1902
Files of Henry Burke, UGRR Historian, Author, Lecturer
1875 Washington County, Ohio Atlas
Washington County, Ohio Map, Fremont Printing Inc., 2003
Marietta Daily Times - Thursday April 7, 1938
GNIS website



OHIO COUNTIES FORMED FROM WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORY
Excerpt from Williams History - pg. 109

The next county [after Washington] proclaimed was HAMILTON, January 2, 1790.

Then followed the erection from 1790-1795 of the counties of ST. CLAIR, KNOX, RANDOLPH, and WAYNE, lying in the Northwest Territory, and outside of the presents limits of Ohio.

ADAMS was next erected July 10, 1897.

JEFFERSON followed in order, being erected July 29, 1797, as the eighth in the Territory and fourth in the boundaries of Ohio. The establishment of the last named materially lessened the size of WASHINGTON, as did also the creation of ROSS in 1798.

TRUMBULL, the county of the Western Reserve, was not erected until 1800.

BELMONT was proclaimed in 1801.

After the organization of the State government counties were created quite fast, and the old territorial counties were reduced in size correspondingly:

MUSKINGUM was formed in 1804
GALLIA in 1803
ATHENS in 1803MONROE in 1815
MORGAN and MEIGS in 1819

The division of WASHINGTON County into townships was not effected until December, 1790, and was done by the court of quarter sessions. MARIETTA, BELPRE and WATERFORD, including respectively the three settlements, were established and contained immense tracts of country.

MARIETTA extended from the 7th range to the western boundary of the 9th range (12 miles), and extended south so as to include township No. 2 in the 9th range. BELPRE and WATERFORD were of similar size.

GALLIPOLIS was bounded upon the north by a line drawn westward from the north line of township No. 3 in the 11th range, upon the west by the Scioto and on the south by the Ohio River.

In the northern end of the country extending to the lake were two townships: WARREN, adjoining Pennsylvania & MIDDLETON, further west. These townships were taken off by the establishment of JEFFERSON County in 1797.

In December, 1797, the townships of ADAMS and SALEM were established, the latter extending from the donation tract to the north line of the county, and being five miles in width.

A new MIDDLETOWN, embracing nearly all of what is now ATHENS County, was established in December, 1798.

NEWTOWN, formed from the north part of WATERFORD, and extending to the north line of the county, was formed the same year as the above, also NEWPORT.

There were 9 townships in the county in 1800, of which 6 -MARIETTA, BELPRE, WATERFORD, SALEM, ADAMS, AND NEWPORT, were within its present limits, and three - GALLIPOLIS, MIDDLETOWN, and NEWPORT was outside.

To conclude; the dates of the establishment of the townships have been as follows"

MARIETTA, BELPRE AND WATERFORD, 1790
ADAMS and SALEM, 1792
NEWPORT, 1798
GRANDVIEW, 1802
WATERTOWN and ROXBURY, 1806
FEARING, 1808
WESLEY and WARREN, 1810
UNION, 1812
LAWRENCE, 1815
AURELIUS and BARLOW, 1818
LUDLOW, 1819
DECATUR, 1820
LIBERTY, 1832
JOLLY and INDEPENDENCE, 1840
FAIRFIELD and PALMER, 1851
DUNHAM, 1856
MUSKINGUM, 1861.

Of the foregoing 25 townships, 3 have ceased to exist, viz: ROXBURY, JOLLY, and UNION.



ADAMS TOWNSHIP --- Twp. 4, Range 9.
(Also see Salem, Muskingum & Union Twps)
It was first settled with the 2nd Association was located at Waterford. Established March of 1797. It originally included parts of Salem & Muskingum Twps. In 1877 part of Union Township was annexed in.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Adams (1820. Later became Lowell PO)
Buell's Lowell (Incorporated May 10, 1851. Now known as Upper Lowell)
Cat's Creek
Buell's Island (Incorporated May 10, 1851)
Coal Run
Equity
Lang Ridge, Lynch Hill, Olloch Hill
-----POST OFFICES:
Cat's Creek Mills (1813 to 1817)
Buell Carroll (1830 to 1837) On February 7, 1837 it became Lowell post office
Equity (1888 to 1902)
-----CEMETERIES: Devol, Dodge, Greenlawn, Buell, Our Lady of Mercy, Lewis, Liberty Hill, Marsh, Mason/Kile, Old German, Roebrake, Sprague, Pleasant Ridge, Big Run, Hill Grove, Schantz, Morris, Salem Church, Greenlawn
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: Big Run, Cats Creek, Congress Run, Straight Run, Bear Run, Right & South branches of Wolf Creek, Rainbow Creek, Muskingum River, Coal Run, Cairns Run
-----DAMS: Lowell Dam (Lock #3)
-----ISLANDS: Buell's
-----STATE ROUTES: 60, 530
-----COUNTY ROADS: 56, 60, 76, 79
-----GARRISONS: Kenny Garrison (Block-house located what is now known as St. Rt. 60)
-----BORDERS: Noble Co. (North); Waterford Twp. (West); Salem Twp. (East); Watertown Twp; (South)
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: Earliest settlers in Adams Township, which was established in 1797, were the COBURN’S, ALLISON’S, DODGE’S, FRYE’S, KINNEY’S, OWEN’S, BUELL’S, DEVOL’S AND SPRAGUE’S. Building of locks and dams in the Muskingum River about a century ago was the making of what is now known as upper Lowell. Buell's Lowell was incorporated in 1851. The first officers were Theodore SCHRINER, Mayor; S. N. MERRIAM, Recorder; John SCOTT, Solomon SHARPE, John B. RIGNIER, Joseph COX and George FLECK, Trustees; and William BARTLETT, Marshall. The first store was opened in what is Lowell in 1822. Lowell mill was built in 1842. The first postmaster was E. SHORT, who served in 1820 when the office was known as "ADAMS." The COBURN’S came to Marietta in 1788. Phineas COBURN, one of the sons of Captain Asa COBURN of the Revolutionary War who came to Marietta, was one of the 48 pioneers. Descendants of the COBURN’S were prominent in Adams Township for many decades. Robert ALLISON moved to Cat's Creek in 1795. His daughter, Nancy ALLISON FROST, who lived to be 107 years old, was for a long time before her death in 1891 the only survivor of pioneer life in Campus Martius stockade. She is remembered by Marietta's older generations who have heard her give recollections of events in Campus Martius stockade, and especially of the Sunday School taught by Mary Bird LAKE. Mrs. FROST died near Lowell in the summer of 1891. Other of the old settlers in Adams Township were William and Daniel DAVIS, sons of Captain Daniel DAVIS of the 48 pioneers, William MASON, Stephen FROST, Joseph and David WELLS, Gilbert SEMON, George FOX, Alfred HALL, John J. WOOD, David M. REED, Albert CHANDLER, Philip MATTERN, Jacob SCHNEIDER and Frank BUELL.


AMES TOWNSHIP
Established in 1802. In 1803 it became part of Athens County, Ohio when it was formed.


AURELIUS TOWNSHIP --- Township 5, Range 8.
(Also see Salem Township)
Originally Aurelius Township was part of Monroe County, Ohio. It joined Washington County on December 15, 1818. Named by Dr. John Baptiste Regnier, who went from Marietta to the site of Macksburg when he bought a farm there in 1819, had been called the "father of the township." He named the township and called it Aurelius, perhaps for the old Roman Marcus AURELIUS. Anyway, the name was such a favorite with him that he named one of his sons Aurelius. Sections 25, 26, 27 & fractions of 34, 35, & 36 was taken from Salem Township when Aurelius was formed. The size of the township was reduced when Noble County, Ohio was formed. On March 11, 1851, some of Aurelius was given to Noble County, Ohio.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Macksburg/Macksville (settled abt. 1816)
Elba (founded in 1871)
Grubs Mill; Highland Ridge; Dickson/Dixon Ridge; Gildow Hill; Baker Ridge; Dutton Run
-----POST OFFICES: Aurelius 1851-1860.
-----CEMETERIES: Atkinson, Boyd, Dutton, Goulds, Hill Grove, Macksburg Family, Old Macksburg, Old Raley, Smith Ridge, Lund
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: Duck Creek, Goose Run, Peaker Run, Long Run, Engine Run, Buells Run, West Fork of Duck Creek
-----STATE ROUTES: 821
-----COUNTY ROADS: 8, 76
-----Interstate: 77
-----BORDERS: Noble Co. (North, Northeast, & West); Salem Twp. (Southeast & South)
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: The first settler in the township was Levi DAINS, a Revolutionary War soldier. Others of the early families were the DUTTON, the HUTCHIN’S, DELONG’S, WICKEN’S, ST. JOHN’S, DAVIDSON’S, SMITHSON’S, HALL’S, VAUGHN’S and RAYLEY’S. William MACINTOSH, son-in-law of Dr. REGNIER, opened the first store in Macksburg in 1827. Dr. REGNIER built the first mill; he was the first postmaster, the first doctor, the first manufacturer, the first treasurer of Aurelius Township. The first brick house was built in the township at Macksburg by Dr. REGNIER in 1820. The first frame barns in the township built by Dr. REGNIER and Joseph DUTTON in 1822-23.


BARLOW TOWNSHIP --- Township 3, Range 10.
(Also see Warren Township)
Established on July 1818. Probably named after the memory of Joel Barlow. Barlow was originally was known as the "White Oak Settlement." Sometime after 1813 a personal quarrel between 2 prominent citizens who had land in Warren township, resulted in a tract 1/2 mile wide and 2 miles long being set off and annexed to Barlow twp.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Barlow (founded on September 11, 1837)
Fleming (founded on June 23, 1866)
Vincent
Ormiston
Barnett Ridge, Pryor Ridge
-----POST OFFICES: Ormiston & Barlow
-----CEMETERIES: Corner, Deming, Henry, Barlow, Barnett Ridge, Fleming (old & new cemeteries), Houghland, Lawton, Roe, Bell, Honesty Turner
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: Halfway Run, Alden & Goodfellows (Park) Lake, South branch of Wolf Creek, Tupper Creek, Buffalo Run, Browns Run, a Branch of Little Hocking.
-----STATE ROUTES: 339, 550 (formally 50A)
-----COUNTY ROADS: 2, 27, 804, 805, 806
-----COVERED BRIDGES: Bell Covered Bridge on Twp Rd. 39. Built 1888.; Mill Branch Covered Bridge. Relocated to the Barlow Fairgrounds. It was built about 1832.
-----BORDERS: Watertown Twp. (North); Warren Twp. (East); Palmer Twp. (Northeast); Fairfield Twp. (West); Dunham Twp. (South)
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: The first settlers were the LAWTON’S, VINCENT’S, GREEN’S, PROCTOR’S, BRECKENRIDGE’S, HOUGHLAND’S, COOKE’S, McGUIRE’S, DEMING’S, TOMPKIN’S, BEEBE’S, HARVEY’S, FLEMING’S, PRESTON’S, JONE’S, FISHER’S, SCOTT’S, MERRILL’S, PUGH’S, PALMER’S, FORD’S, TUTTLE’S, MOORE’S, MORRIS’, CANFIELD’S, SHAW’S, FINCH’S, LASURES’, LAFLIN’S and others. A number of the early families were of Scotch descent. Barlow village was laid out in 1840. Lyman LAFLIN opened the first store and was the first postmaster. Barlow fair organization was made in 1871.
The house in which pioneer children of Barlow Township learned their ABC’s was of rough hickory logs with chimneys of "cat and clay" and with the fireplace was wide enough to hold fence rails which also were used for seats.
-----UNDERGROUND RAILROAD STATIONS:
1.) The Barlow Station - The James Lawton, Sr. home in Barlow. Built around 1819. He was an abolitionist. Church Tuttle from Monroe County, Ohio joined James Lawton, Sr. and other abolitionists in Barlow sometime during the 1850's. Read more about James Lawton in the "Wilbur H. Siebert UGRR Collection, "Marietta, Ohio Abolitonist Activity", 1881 (From Ohio Memory website) http://cdm267401.cdmhost.com/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/siebert&CISOPTR=9539&REC=1
2.) The Vincent Station. - There was an active Underground Railroad Station at Vincent, located in Decatur Township. Fugitive slaves from Belpre, sent to Vincent, the forwarded on to Barlow. The Vickers family were particularly active with the Underground Railroad in Vincent, receiving fugitive slaves from Belpre and passing them along to the Barlow or Cutler Stations.


BELPRE TOWNSHIP --- Township 1, Ranges 9 & 10. Township 2, Range 10.
(Also see Blennerhassett, Dunham Townships)
Established on December 20, 1790. Belpre was one of the three original townships of Washington County. Originally named "Belle Prairie" meaning "beautiful meadow." In 1797, the Court of Quarter sessions decided that all the territory south of Waterford & Marietta townships embracing parts of the present counties of Athens, Vinton, & Ross, together with fractions of Hocking, Meigs, Jackson, and Pike as they stand today [1881]. The lines marked out in 1790 bounded north by territory now embraced by Warren, Barlow, Fairfield, east and south by the Ohio River [Wood County, (W)Virginia], and west of what became Athens County, Decatur & a section of Fairfield twp. In 1856 Town #1, Range 9 and Town #2, Range 10 were bisected from east to west and the northern division incorporated into Dunham township. The city of Belpre was incorporated on July 2, 1901.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Upper Settlement (North of Belpre Village. Includes Cedarville)
Middle Settlement (Center/Centre Belpre)
Lower Settlement (Includes Newbury & Little Hockhocking)
Newberry/Newbury (First settler was Truman Guthrie in 1790. Named by Nathaniel Sawyer)
Cedarville
Blennerhasset Village (laid out on 6-28-1876 by Wm. & Mary Mullen)
Corner
Redbush
Porterfield (aka Glencoe)
Little Hockhocking (now known as Little Hocking)
Belpre Centre (founded on July 1, 1806)
Town of Belpre. (Incorporated July 22, 1901. Now known as Blennerhasset Twp.)
Lewis Landing (in Little Hocking); Goodnoughs Landing (in Little Hocking); Cold Spring Hollow (in Little Hocking)
-----POST OFFICES:
The first mail distributed was at the tavern of Peregrine Foster as early as 1798.
Little Hockhocking (Established 1824. In October of 1879 the name changed to Little Hocking PO)
Rockland (Established 1873. At Cedarville)
Bent (February 27, 1830. Became Centre Belpre in 1873)
Centre Belpre (established 1873)
Corner (1890-1902)
Armienia (Jan. 26, 1887 to June 30, 1915)
-----CEMETERIES: Cedarville (oldest in the township), Little Hocking (2nd oldest in the township), Little Hocking Methodist, Pioneers of Ohio/Newbury Burial Ground, Rockland, Rockland, St. Mary's, Knowles
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: Ohio River, Little Hocking River, Little West Branch Little Hocking River, Congress Creek, Crooked Creek, Davis Creek/Run, Sawyer Run, Big Run, White's Run, Long Brook, Short Brook, Mill Branch, Grass Run, Cold Spring Run, Whites Run (The Little Kanawha River flows into the Ohio River at Parkersburg, WV. which is directly across the Ohio River from Belpre. The Little Kanawha was a well traveled route on the UGRR.)
-----GARRISONS: Farmers' Castle; Newbury Stockade; Gooddale Stockade; Stone's Fort
-----STATE ROUTES: 555, 339, 7, 50, 618, 32, 124. -- Before Rt. 7 was built people used the Old Belpre Road to travel to and from Marietta & Belpre. Located between where Rt. 7 is today, and the Ohio River. Rt. 7 merges with St. Rt. 50 that goes into Athens Co.
-----COUNTY ROADS: 2, 26, 84
-----ISLANDS:
Neil's Island (1/2 in Dunham Twp.)
Newbury Island
James Island
Mustapha Island (extreme northwest of township)
Backus Island later became Blennerhassett Island. This island divided the upper settlement from the middle & lower settlements. Blennerhassett Island was also known as "The Bluff".
-----MOUNDS:
DRUSE MOUND is east of Cedarville. On land owned by Stephan Druse in 1881.
A small mound on property of Charles Ames (1881).
A small mound in the garden of Cyrus Ames (west of Cedarville).
Mound on land of E. W. Petty.
Mound on the land of J. Ollum (short distance from the Druse Mound).
A large mound on the land of J. M. Farson, below Cedarville. He removed it in 1875. Found several Indian skeleton remains and artifacts. There were several small mounds further down the river from Farson, before 1881. A mound on the hillside of a farm owned by Edwin Guthrie and one on the adjoining farm, owned by C. W. Oakes. There were constructed of large flat stones, piled 10' to 12' high.
-----BOARDERS: Parkersburg, Wood County, West Virginia (Southeast); Dunham Twp. (North); Decatur Twp. (West); Athens County, Ohio (West).
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: The incorporated village of Belpre extends about a mile along the river front and as far back as the hills. The early settlers of Belpre Township were the DANAS, ROUSES, BATTELLES, CUSHINGS, STONES, PUTNAMS, BROWNINGS, GREENES, BENTS, AMES, ELLENWOODS, FOSTERS, HOWES, OAKES, CURTIS' LORINGS, GUTHRIES, GOODNOS, PORTERS, PORTERFIELDS, COLES, ARMSTRONGS, DUNFEES, KNOWLES, BANGILDERS, COGGESHALLS, SAWYERS, MILES and others.
----UNDERGROUND RAILROAD:
1.) Little Hocking Station - Curtis/Sawyer House [National Register of Historic Homes, (built in 1798)]. Little Hocking is in the extreme southeast corner of Washington County. This is the "oldest" Underground Railroad Station standing in the Northwest Territory. Horace Curtis carried on Underground Railroad activities from that house after 1820.
2.) Belpre Station - John Stone House [National Register of Historic Places, (built in 1798)]. 110 Stone Road. This station was run by Capt. Jonathon Stone, and his son Colonel John Stone. Jonathon was a contemporary and friend of Judge Ephraim Cutler, John Stone, who was born in Belpre and spent his entire life beside the Ohio River in Belpre, across from Parkersburg in Wood County, Virginia John Stone became an abolitionists at a young age when he witnessed a slave being captured near the Ohio River. Perley Goss, and others in the area also worked on the Underground Railroad. John Stone inherited his father’s homestead on the Ohio River at Belpre across the Ohio River from Parkersburg, (West) Virginia. Before the Mexican War he was appointed as a Colonel in the Ohio Militia. John Stone’s farm is located across the Ohio River from the confluence with the Little Kanawha River and from Washington's Bottom where there were several moderate sized farms that owned enslaved African Americans. The Little Kanawha River was a well used Underground Railroad trail through (West) Virginia. Very early in John Stone’s life he witnessed the capture of a slave from Wood County, Virginia who had crossed the Ohio River onto his father’s. The slave’s owner was in close pursuit and hell bent on capturing his errant slave. This incident was very likely the catalyst that ignited John Stone hatred for slavery and slave owners ! At that time he made a vow to help every fugitive slave he encountered, continue their journey on the Underground Railroad toward freedom in Canada. Before 1820, John Stone joined the growing group of citizens who lived along the Ohio River in their practice of helping fugitive slaves evade capture. This activity spread rapidly along the Ohio River and the Upper Mississippi River. This practice became known as the Underground Railroad. John Stone was vocal about his anti-slavery sentiments, but he kept details about his Underground Railroad activities confined within his close circle of associates. Slave owners in Wood County, Virginia knew about John Stone and hated him too, but they were never able to prove a case against him. Based on John Stone’s outspoken distain for slavery, at one point the Virginia Militia thought he intended to lead an invasion force of Abolitionists into Virginia to free the slaves. The Virginia Militia positioned a canon on the Virginia shore of the Ohio River and aimed it toward John Stone’s house on the Ohio shore. Partly for the sake of annoyance John Stone constructed a fake cannon from a length of wooden pipe and an upside down butter churn! The ruse was over when the wind blew the makce-shift cannon apart. In 1845, this nearly caused the Civil War to get started! John Stone lived to see the end of slavery in the United States. In January 1884, Colonel John Stone died peacefully on his farm where he was born and lived out his life


BLENNERHASSETT TOWNSHIP
(Also see Belpre Township)
Formed in 1980. Covers the corporation limits of Belpre.


DECATUR TOWNSHIP --- Township 6, Range 11.
Established on November 30, 1820.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Decaturville (The upper settlement. Established 1820)
Fillmore
Canada Settlement (Located west of Fillmore. Settled soon after Decaturville)
Hope
Prosperity
Turkey Hollow, Boggy Hollow, Windy Ridge (extends into Fairfield Twp.)
-----POST OFFICES:
Big Run (founded on July 22, 1856. Moved into Athens County, Ohio in 1865)
Decaturville (upper settlement 1851 to 1904)
Fillmore (lower settlement Jan. 1851 to 1906)
Hope (central part of township 1894-1899)
Prosperity (extreme south center of sec. #13 1898-1902)
-----CEMETERIES: Bradby, Brooks, Boyles, Burnett, Barrows, Centennial Church, (Old) Decatur Chapel/Church, Decar Mt., Ellis, Friends, Harris, Hatch, Jarvis, Giddings, Ladd, Miller, Mount Liberty Church/Chapel, Presbyterian, Sawyer, Welch, Ladd, Quaker, Norris
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: Ellis Run, Two Mile Run, Big Run, Gilbert Run, Dark Cave Run, Grass Run, Little Hocking River, Laurel Run, Long Run
-----STATE ROUTES: 555
-----COUNTY ROADS: 3, 26, 59, 98, 11, 188, 248
-----BRIDGES: Natural Stone Bridge; Root Covered - Built in 1878, located in Decatur Township on Washington County 6 just north of Ohio 555.
-----BOARDERS: Wesley & Fairfield twps. (North); Dunham & Belpre twps. (East); Athens County, Ohio (Southeast).
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: Decatur Township was organized in 1820. The first settlers came about 1816 and were the LOVELL’S, JOHNSON’S, DUFUR’S, FAIRCHILD’S, GIDDING’S, BALLARD’S, MOREY’S, PLACE’S, NOLAND’S, ROOT’S, SCHRADER’S, SMITH’S, IRVIN’S, WELCH’S, TRICKLE’S, GAMBLE’S, MILLER’S, and BALL’S. The general route of the "underground railroad" ran through Decatur Township. In this township lived a number of settlers who protected run away slaves. Three of them, Peter GARNER, Creighton LORAINE and Mordecai THOMAS, whose abduction by Virginia officers in 1845, were among the "underground railroad conductors."


DEERFIELD TOWNSHIP
Established in July of 1812 later was incorporated into Morgan County. (Morgan Co. formed in 1819)


DUNHAM TOWNSHIP --- Townships 1 & 2, Ranges 9 & 10.
(Also see Belpre & Warren Townships)
Established June 5, 1855 from Belpre and Warren Townships. The boundary line between Warren & Dunham changed again on Oct. 19, 1855. In 1856 a section of the northern part of Belpre Twp. was annexed into to Dunham. Named in honor of Jonathan Dunham, also one of the first settlers in western Washington County. He was the grandson of Rev. Jonathan DUNHAM, first preacher at Martha’s Vineyard.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Veto
Oxbow
Briggs (Formally in Warren Township until 1855)
Dunham
Constitution
Mood Ridge
-----POST OFFICES:
Layman before 1857 (changed to Dunham post office in 1857)
Dunham (1857 to 1902)
Briggs (March 1875-1902)
Veto (established in 1850)
Constitution (Warren Twp)
-----CEMETERIES: Abbott Family, Holister, Hopkins, Veto, Dunham, Glendale
------STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: Little Hocking River, East Branch of the Little Hocking River, Plum Run, Spring Run, Veto Lake, Tadpole Run, Mill Branch, Turkey Hen Creek, Taylors Run, Little Hocking Creek, North branch of Congress Creek
-----STATE ROUTES: 339
-----COUNTY ROADS: 2, 3, 30, 51, 85
-----ISLANDS: Neil's Island (1/2 in Belpre Township)
-----BOARDERS: Belpre (South); Ohio River into Wood County, WV. (East); Decatur twp. (West); Fairfield twp. (Northwest); Barlow twp. (North); Warren twp.
(Northeast).
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: The first improvement in what is Dunham Township was made by Elihu CLARK, Benjamin BICKFORD, Hezekiah BICKFORD and Lemual COOPER as far back as 1803, when they built cabins. Early settlers were the HOLLISTER’S, TAYLOR’S, RATHBURN’S, DELANO’S, MOORE’S, ELLENWOOD’S, GODDARD’S, DRAIN’S, POND’S, CALDER’S, COLE’S, McCLURE’S, HOPKIN’S, SEFFEN’S, MANKIN’S, McTAGGART’S and HARVEY’S.
About 1850, the farmers of Dunham Township held plowing exhibitions which developed into a general agriculture fair of which J. J. HOLLISTER was president. The Civil War put an end to the fair when the farmers went to war. The first tavern in the township was opened in 1805 opposite the head of Neal’s Island by Nathan COLE.


FAIRFIELD TOWNSHIP --- Township 7, Range 11 and Township 3 Range 10.
(Also see Wesley, Barlow, Belpre & Decatur Townships)
Established in December of 1851 from parts of Wesley, Barlow, Belpre, and Decatur townships. 24 square miles.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Olds (See Cutler)
Harshville (See Cutler)
Cutler (Founded as Olds in 1855. In 1857 it was named Harshville in honor of Dr. John Harsha who built the 1st cabin. Later changed to Culter in honor of William P. Cutler.)
Decaturville
Fishtown (Oldest in the township. Later called Layman)
Layman
Qualey
Dunbar
Napier
Some of Bartlett
Tick Ridge, Windy Ridge, Oak Hill
-----POST OFFICES:
Dunbar (1857-1917)
Wesley (established Nov. 8, 1829)
Olds (established in 1855 in Harshville)
Harshville (later named Cutler)
Cutler (previously called Harshville)
Fishtown (Established 1837. Later named Layman 1858-1908)
Virgin (1888-June 14, 1902)
Qualey (Jan. 8. 1881-1918)
Napier
-----CEMETERIES: Harris, Centennial Church, Cody, Divine, Fairfield, Union, Christian, Burnett, Layman, Lynch, Union, Williams, Tick Ridge, Barrows, Boyles, Burnet & Hatch, Old Decatur Chapel
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: Lead Run Two Mile Run, Laurel Run, South Fork of Laurel Run, Longs Run, Falls Creek, Burnett Run, Badger Lake
-----STATE ROUTES: 550 (formally 50A), 555
-----COUNTY ROADS: 6, 18, 236
-----BRIDGES: Henry Covered Bridge, located on Twp. Rd. 61. Built in 1894.; Little Natural Stone Bridge
-----BORDERS: Palmer (North); Barlow (East); Decatur (South); Wesley (West)
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: The early settlers of this township came over the Ohio River thence from Marietta, following the only broken route through the wilderness to this district. Among the earliest settles were David EWELL, who came from Virginia some time before 1814 and settled near Fishtown, where he built his log cabin home. William DUNBAR settled in the township in 1814 and Walter KIDWELL came in the same year from Fairfax, Va. Hapgood GODDARD came in
1817, Phineas DUNSMOOR in 1822, Joseph GAGE in 1827. Others of the early settlers were Peter LAKE, John BURFIELD, Torrence GILMORE, Joshua SHUTTLEWORTH, Daniel DUNBAR, Charles GODDARD, Jordan SWESEY, David N. CAMPBELL, Gilbert and Carmi SMITH, William MOORE and Owen CLARK. A wood growers association was organized in 1876, the membership having included farmers of all townships in western Washington County. The first and only grist mill in the township stood near the home of the late George W. MORRIS at Fishtown (Layman P. O.) and the mill was the common property of all the settlers around. to this mill the early settlers brought their grain and each one in turn ground his own meal. "Mush" with bear meat or venison was a favorite dish of the first settlers.

-----UNDERGROUND RAILROAD:
1.) Cutler Station - James and Margaret Smith Farm -Underground Railroad Marker located on west side of Ohio State Route 555, 2 miles south of Cutler, Ohio, in the extreme western part of Washington County. James and Margaret Smith along with their five sons operated their Underground Railroad Station from around 1825 until 1861.
2.) The Bartlett Station - Located in the western part of Washington County north of Cutler, the Bartlett Underground Railroad Station operated by Uriah Bailey, William Hale and a number of "free mulattos" that lived in the area, took in passengers coming from Underground Railroad Station near the Ohio River and passed them along to next Station 12 miles north at the Quaker Community at Chester Hill, in Morgan County, Ohio.


FEARING TOWNSHIP --- Township 3, Range 8.
(Also see Salem & Muskingum Twps)
Established on March 8, 1808. On this day, Fearing took 3 miles on the south end of Salem Twp. Named after the Hon. Paul Fleming, first lawyer in the Northwest Territory. When Fleming was formed, it was only 6 square miles. On Feb. 8, 1809, the western tier of sections was annexed to other townships. It 1861 more was taken when Muskingum Township was formed.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Stanleyville
Whipple Station
Caywood
-----POST OFFICES:
Caywood (1817 to 1922)
Fearing (founded January 7, 1828)
Stanleyville (1878. Formally Fearing post office)
Whipple (Extreme north part of the township)
-----CEMETERIES: August Spindler, Berg, Chapman/Cedar Narrows, Fearing, Flanders, Gerbin, St. Jacob Church, Lynch, Old Berg, Stanleyville (oldest in township), Zimmer, Goldsmith, Highland Ridge, Hobby
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: New Years Run (aka Cedar Narrows), Duck Creek, Paw Paw Creek, Reads Run, Sugar Creek/Run, Kilwell Run, Brush Run, Burches Run, Whipple Creek/Run (Whipple Creek/Run was an unnamed stream that Abraham Whipple almost met his death when he fell in while surveying.)
-----STATE ROUTES: 821
-----COUNTY ROADS: 16, 17, 42, 375
-----INTERSTATES: 77
-----BORDERS: Salem (North); Muskingum (West); Lawrence (East); Marietta (South)
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: Levi CHAPMAN and Thomas STANLEY were the first settlers in Fearing Township. Then came Joel and Simeon TUTTLE, Simeon BLAKE, John AMLIN, Patrick and Daniel CAMPBELL, Henry and Richard MAXON, Seth JONES, Allen PUTNAM, Conrad RIGHTNER, Abraham SEEVERS, Charles H. MORTON, Ephraim TRUE,John E. WIDGER, William CAYWOOD, Robert McKEE, Nathaniel KIDD, Walter ATHEY, William PRICE, Reuben McVAY, James DOWLING, Thomas WARD, John P. PALMER, Dr. HICKS, John YOUNG, William BROWN and others. Nathum WARD, largest land owner in southeastern Ohio, brought many ofthe early German settlers and many of the early Scotch settlers to Washington County, in the early 1830?s. Of the German settlers who aided in the development of the township were the DANKER’S, SEYLER’S, ZIMMER’S, BISZANTZE’S, PAPE’S, BOESHAR’S, MOTTER’S, BULES’, TRAPP’S, BIEHL’S and LEONHARDT’S. The village of Whipple was named by General A. J. WARNER as a railroad station on the old Cleveland & Marietta Railroad. It was given the name of Commodore Abraham WHIPPLE, of the Continental Navy of the revolutionary War period, who spent his last years on his farm home in "The Vale of Chamonoi," a valley in Fearing Township.


GALLIPOLIS TOWNSHIP
Established March of 1797. Now known a Gallia County.
-----POST OFFICES: Gallipolis 1794 to 1803. Became part of Gallia County when it was formed in 1803.
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: Several early French pioneers, who came to Washington County "before" 1797 settled here.


GRANDVIEW TOWNSHIP --- Township 2 Range 5
(Also see Newport & Jolly Twps)
Established in 1803 from the northern part of Newport township. In 1859 Grandview gained from Jolly Township.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
(New) Matamoras
Beavertown
Archer's Fork
Glass
Yellow House
Salem Hall
Ward
Dawes/Beavertown
Grand View Village
Lease Run (1st settled in 1834)
Bashor Ridge, Cisler Ridge, Early Ridge, Fairview Ridge, Jones Hill, Dye Ridge, Graham Ridge
-----POST OFFICES:
Grand View (1831-1964)
Dawes 1892-1911
Glass 1891-1918
Ostend (1st established at the mouth of Rea's Run. Later named Wade Post Office)
Archers Fork (established 1874)
Lundville
Deucher
Leith
Shay
Schley (SW portion of township. Later moved to Lawrence Twp.)
-----CEMETERIES: Grandview, Beabout, Beaver, Belle Ridge, Carson, Center Valley, Cooper, Evans, Farra, Fairview Church, Fox, Franks, German, Old German, Newer German, German Methodist, Gooseman Family, Hackathorn, Holdren Family, Jones, Murdock, Myers, New Matamoras, Parr, Parr Hill, Beavertown, Pioneer-Vauple, Pool, Salem Hall, Springer, Sheets/Cline, Way, Jedico, Little, Mount
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: Jackson Run, Old Camp Run, North Fork of Mill Creek, Mill Creek, Leith Run, Sheets Run
-----STATE ROUTES: 7, 260
-----COUNTY ROADS: 9, 33, 138, 21
-----BOARDERS: Monroe County, Ohio (North); Ohio River, West Virginia (Southeast); Independence & Ludlow twps. (West).
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: The first settlers were families named DICKERSON, SHEPHERD, MITCHELL, WITTEN, RIGGS, SHEETS, ELLIS, BURRIS, JOLLY, COLLINS, WILLIAMSON and HOLDREN. Henry SHEETS laid out the town of Matamoras, to which additions were made from time to time. The town, which was incorporated in 1861, was named "New" Matamoras as after the old town of Matamoras, Mexico, opposite Brownsville, Tex., at the mouth of Rio Grande. Soldiers from Grandview Township participated in the Mexican War, 1846-1848, and were impressed by the name. The word ?New? is dropped in prevalent usage of the name of the town. Grandview village was surveyed at an early day but the original plat was annulled by Hannibal WILLIAMSON in 1848 and he made a new plat of the same ground.


HARMAR VILLAGE
(Marietta Township)
Township 1, Range 8. Part of Marietta Township. West side of Marietta. The Muskingum River divides the east and west side. On March 23, 1837 Harmar was incorporated as a separate town and remained that way until it was annexed back into Marietta in 1890.
-----POST OFFICES: Harmar
-----CEMETERIES: Harmar
-----OTHER: Some of the street names have changed over the years.
Fort Street was formally Ohio Street.
Gilman Street was formally 2nd Street.
Gilman Ave. (towards Oak Grove) was formally Muskingum Road/Street.
Franklin was formally 3rd Street.
Harmar Street was formally 4th Street, and Main Street.
Putnam Ave. was formally North Street.
Maple Street was formally Church Street.
Pearl Street was formally Peal Street.
-----BOARDERS: Muskingum River, Ohio River, City of Marietta, & Warren Township

-----UNDERGROUND RAILROAD: David Putnam was a well known abolitionist. His home was located at the head o f Maple Street. This house was constructed in 1830 on two acres that extended to the back of the Harmar Congregational Church. The Lydia Hale family were the last occupants of the dwelling. The house was demolished in 1953 to make way for Fort Harmar Drive at the west end of the Washington Street Bridge in Marietta. David Putnam Jr. acquired his antislavery sentiments from growing up across the Ohio River from Wood County, Virginia, then a part of the "Old Dominion" where slavery was not only legitimate, but was also very profitable. Both the south side (Virginia) and the north side, (Ohio), of the Mid-Ohio River Valley began development around the same time (1780s), with people of opposing political views about slavery, settling directly across the river from each other. In all fairness, it must be noted that the overwhelming majority of the Virginians in "western" Virginia eventually rejected slavery and secession, and in 1863 formed the "free", (loyal to the Union), state of West Virginia. David was born at just the right moment, in just the right place, with the necessary of amount of family prestige, to lead the Underground Railroad in Marietta. The Underground Railroad and David Putnam Jr. literally grew up together. As a young man, David had become personally aquatinted slavery in Wood County, Virginia, and had seen slaves - "sold down the river" - to plantations in the Deep South. As a teenager he decided to take an active role in the fight to abolish slavery in the United States. When I use the word fight, I mean it literally. David Putnam was a tall muscular fellow who was equally comfortable settling his disputes either by diplomacy or his with bare knuckles. He would let his opponents choose their own poison, but he would never compromise his anti-slavery principles. In December of 1845, he wrote in a letter to be delivered by one William P. Cutler of Marietta, to one Mr. Guthrie in Columbus, Ohio: " If we cannot catch the kidnappers, the devil will!"; the kidnapers he referred to were bounty hunters in pursuit of fugitive slaves. In 1847, David Putnam Jr. was sued by Virginia plantation owner George Washington Henderson, for the lose of nine slaves, which Henderson claimed Putnam had influenced to run away. The suit, which was filed in the U.S. District Court in Columbus, was dismissed in 1852.
Historic Underground Railroad Law Suit: Henderson vs. Putnam-
Filed in: U.S. CIRCUIT COURT, District of Ohio in Columbus, on June 25, 1849.
Attorneys for the Plaintive: Samuel F. Vinton and Noah H. Swayne.
Attorney for Defense: Salmon P. Chase
[G.W. Henderson, Briar Plantation, Wood County, Virginia (Slave Owner) , charged that under provisions of the {1793 U.S. FUGITIVE SLAVE LAW}, David Putnam Jr., Harmar (Marietta), Washington County, Ohio, did illegally entice, conceal and otherwise aid (nine) Negro slaves, the legal property of G.W. Henderson, to run away from their owner, and the State of Virginia at various intervals commencing on or about 15 February, 1846, the last instance occurring on or about 11 February, 1847].
The Plaintive filed two Suits for compensation for lost property.
Suit 1: Asked $5,500 for the value of the slaves.
Suit 2: Asked $10,000 compensation for causing a breech of contract (specified in the provisions of the 1793 Fugitive Slave Law) and for lost labor, and legal fees.
The case was dismissed on October 12, 1852 because of language in the [1850 FUGITIVE SLAVE ACT]. Ref. from: INSUPERABLE BARRIERS - A Case Study of the Henderson vs. Putnam Fugitive Slave Case, by William B. Summers. [The complete manuscript, with notes and bibliography are in the Archives and Special Collections Room, Dawes Memorial Library, Marietta College.] Luther Penrose, of Cincinnati, Ohio in 1969 and a descendent of David Putnam Jr., recalled stories told to him by his grandmother Hannah Putnam Sleigh, who grew up in the house, that in 1890 was one of two Underground Railroad houses still standing in Marietta. The other Underground Railroad house was the Eells home located at 508 Putnam Street, which was demolished in 1964. That means that there probably are no longer any houses standing in Marietta that were used to hide fugitive slaves on the Underground Railroad. David Putnam was a good man, and had many supporters in Marietta who came to his defense on several occasions when he was besieged by pro-slavery advocates. He lived to see the collapse of the slavocracy a quarter of a century before died on January 7, 1892. He rests in the Harmar Cemetery located below his former dwelling in Marietta.


HOCKHOCKING TOWNSHIP
Established 1802. Now in Meigs County.


INDEPENDENCE TOWNSHIP --- Township 2, Range 6.
(Also see Newport & Grandview Townships)
Established on June 3, 1840 from Newport Township. In March of 1840 the two eastern tiers of sections was annexed to Grandview Township.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Archers Fork
Deucher (a small Scottish settlement)
Leith
Wade
Shay Ridge
Little Muskingum Settlement
-----POST OFFICES:
Archer's Fork 1874 to 1949.
Deucher 1885-1950
Wade
Leith
Lawrence (Extreme Northwest)
-----CEMETERIES: Alexander Bucy, Cady, Decker, Decker/Bowersock, Deucher, Deucher Independence, Eddy, Edwards, Old German Lutheran, Goodman/Chapman, John Goodman, Hearn, Heldman, Hoffman, Kinderhook, Knob, Rea, Rea's Run, Taylor, Independence Deucher, Louderback, Donley, Wade, Mt. Hope, Fleming, Independence, Beaver
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: Ohio River, Little Muskingum River, Rea's Run, Elk Run, Irish Run, Coal Run, Archers Fork (forms in this township), Cady Run, Oxbow Run, Ward Brook, Leith Run, Ellifritz Run, Davis Run, Reynolds Run, Danas Run, Hoppel Run, Dawes Run, Big Run
-----STATE ROUTES: 7
-----COUNTY ROADS: 9, 14, 25, 21
-----BORDERS: Ludlow (North); Grandview (East); Newport (South); Ohio River-West Virginia (Southeast)
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: Among the early settlers were families named RIGGS, MORELAND, LITTLE, BROWN, HOLDREN, DYE, McMAHAN, DEUCHER, BLISS, PARR, FRENCH, REA, HARVEY, CHAPMAN, WARD, TAYLOR, WERNECKE and others. The district on the Little Muskigum was settled by the FLEMING’S,MEAD’S, DEVOL’S and DICKERSON’S. The Archers Ford community was named for John ARCHER and here lived the HOPPEL’S, YOST’S, WARD’S, TAYLOR’S, SLOAN’S, CADY’S, and GUTBERLET’S. Independence Township as produced much oil in the Rea’s Run and Archer Fork Fields.


JOLLY TOWNSHIP
(Also see Grandview Twp)
Established 1840. Part of it was incorporated into Monroe County in 1851. Then was annexed into Grandview Township in 1859.

LAWRENCE TOWNSHIP --- Township 3, Range 7.
(Also see Newport Twp.)
Established on June 15, 1815 from the northern boundary of Newport Twp. It is the only "square" township in the county.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Gracey
Dart (founded October of 1905)
Fay
Sitka
Heslop,
Cow Run, Moss Run, Pine Ridge, Pleasants Ridge, Eddy Ridge, Laurel Hill, Zion Ridge, Cow Run, Schley, Steel Run, Stark Hollow, Smith Hill, Eight Mile, Davis Hill, Tuttle Run, Dark Valley (A ravine where the sun only shines abt. 4 hrs. during the day.)
-----POST OFFICES:
Lawrence (first post office in township on John Dye’s farm.)
Cow Run (1869-1916)
Dye (1883-1902)
Fay (1887-1936)
Fifteen (1872-1879) (Nov. 12, 1894-May 15, 1918)
Heslops (In Liberty Twp. First used when Fifteen was discontinued in 1879)
Gracey (1882-1916)
Dart
Hills
Moss Run (established 1858)
Lunville (established 1879)
-----CEMETERIES: Chambers, Newlin/Newlen, Dye, Lawrence, Ludwig, Moss Run, Mt. Zion, Mt. Zion Bracey, Mt. Pisgah, Sitka/Old Dutch, Pfiffer, Pine Ridge, Pleasant Hill/Ridge, Rake, St. John's Evan/Lutheran, Lawrence Baptist, McGregor, Chapel, Dennis, Hern, Beech Grove Presbyterian, Beech Grove United Brethren, Moss Run
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: Little Muskingum River, Morse Run, Moss Run, Fifteen Mile Creek, Little Eight Mile Creek, Steel Run, Hog Run, Archers Fork Creek (only 1 mile long in Lawrence twp. Technically in Independance Twp.), Mill Fork, Sugar Creek, Baker Run, Cow Run, Dana's Run, Hamilton Run, Goss Fork, Bear Run, Whipple's Fork
-----STATE ROUTES: 7
-----COUNTY ROADS: 42, 133, 17, 12, 26, 14, 25, 9, 544
-----BRIDGES: Hune Covered Bridge. Located on Twp. Rd. 34. Built in 1879. Lewis Wetzel Cave (Moss Run)
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: James HOFF was elected the first "lister of taxable property" and James MITCHELL "appraiser of houses." Elections ere held in the early years at John DYE’S home near the mouth of Cow Run. The first school house was opened in 1810 at Cow Run. when the public school system became operative, Lawrence Township was divided into eight school districts with a log school house in each. The first church was a log house covered with clapboards and used by all denominations. The first children’s home in Ohio was in the house of Catherine A. FAY at Moss Run on April 1, 1858, with 8 boys & 1 girl. The famous Cow Run oil developments were in the 1860’s. The first machine for drilling for it was brought into the township in 1864 by George McFARLAND. Joshua L. GUYTON, one of the early settlers, reported that as early as 1845-46, when he had a cabinet shop on Cow Run that "within 35 feet of this shop" there was a "burning spring" from which gas was run through a wooden pipe for illuminating purposes. For a burner he used the spout of a coffee pot. John NEWTON and Moffett DYE sank the first well. Early operations were numerous. Early settlers in Lawrence Township were the DYES, FAY’S, CHAMBERS’, McCOWAN’S, McELHINNEYS, ROGERS’, POWELL’S, TYLER’S, GUYTON’S, PATTERSON’S, HOFF’S and others.


LIBERTY TOWNSHIP --- Township 4, Range 7.
(Also see Ludlow Township)
Established on March 15, 1832 from the western part of Ludlow Twp. In 1851 Sections 18, 24, 30, & 36 was annexed to Noble County, Ohio. Section 5 & 6 was annexed to Monroe County, Ohio.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Harrietville (Oldest settlement in Liberty. Now in Noble Co., Ohio)
Dalzell (established Mar. 13, 1871)
Fifteen (aka Slabtown)
Gasville
Heslop
Germanville/Germantown Village (Oldest village. Founded 1852)
Paw Paw
Liberty
Saltpetre
Waxler (aka Schramm Ridge), Scott's Ridge, Payne Hill, Booth Hollow, Best Hollow, Neff Ridge
-----POST OFFICES:
Girard (A post village of Trumbal Co., established 1842).
Germantown (Established 1852)
Heslop's (Established 1879)
Dalzell 1872-1919
Fifteen 1894-1918. Known by locals as "Slabtown."
Gasville 1888-1908.
Gray 1873-1889.
Saltpetre (1872-1914)
-----CEMETERIES: Binegar, Boston, Dalzell/Dalzell Ridge, Fifteen, Fifteen Lehigh, Koon, Liberty, Mossberg, Paw Paw, Paw Paw Church, Scott's Ridge, Tick
Ridge, Upper Paw Paw, Waxley, Waxler Church, Everett Schmidt, Methodist Church, Pleasant Hill
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: Witten Run, Saltpeter Creek, Paw Paw Creek, Upper Paw Paw Creek, Coon Run, Sycamore Run, Fifteen Mile Creek, East & West Branches of Fifteen Mile Creek, Boston Run, Goss Fork, Whipple Run, Hamilton Run, Deans Fork, Laurel Run, Long Run, Campbell Run, West Branch of Wingett's Run, Sycamore Fork
-----STATE ROUTES: None
-----COUNTY ROADS: 11, 12, 15, 42, 354, 355, 358, 360, 365, 371
-----BOARDERS: Noble County, Ohio (North. Abt. 4 miles); Monroe County, Ohio (North. Abt. 2 miles); Ludlow (East); Lawrence (South); Salem (West)
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: The first person who penetrated the wilderness to make his more in what is Liberty Township was Jewett PALMER, grandfather of G. A. and S. A. PALMER, who moved from Lawrence Township about 1823. He remained only five years and went to Fearing, and later to Salem Township.
Patrick CAMPBELL came next. Richard ALLBERRY moved to the head of Whipple Run in 1835. The site of Germantown was chosen for settlement by Matthew GRAY. Other families which settled in Liberty were those of Levi WOODS, Isaac KOON, Michael KOON, Joseph BARNHART, George KESSELRING, Cephas HENDERSHOT, Philip HENDERSHOT, Lewis YOUNG, John BOWERS, Thomas HAMILTON, Hiram DEARTH, Frederick GRUBER, Dr. J. M. WARREN, William WALTERS, Stephen HARRIS, Dr. SPARLING, Andrew CLINE, John SCOTT and John POWELL. Germantown was laid out by David HENDERSHOT. Dalzell was laid out by R. W. ST. JOHN and was named in honor of Private DALZELL of Noble County. Liberty is one of the hillest townships in the county.
-----UNDERGROUND RAILROAD: Palmer Station - The Jewett Palmer Station was in Liberty Township, located at the extreme north end of Washington County, bordering on both Noble and Monroe counties. Jewett was a very well respected Veteran of the War of 1812. He was an outspoken opponent to slavery and a cousin of William Lloyd Garrison! At an advanced age, he tried to join the Union Army during the Civil War, but was tactfully rejected. Fugitive slaves from the Palmer Station were sent over to Stafford, 12 miles away in Monroe County, or to Middleburg in Noble County.


LUDLOW TOWNSHIP --- Township 3 Range 6.
(Also see Lawrence, & Liberty Townships)
Established on July 17, 1819. It was originally located diagonally Northeast of Lawrence Twp. Ludlow derives it's name indirectly from a surveyor of that name, who ran the north boundary of the "donation land", called the "Ludlow Line". In 1832 Liberty Twp. was made from the western boundary of Ludlow. In 1840 Section 36 was annexed to Independence Township when it was formed. In 1851 the land above the "Ludlow Line" became part of Monroe County.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Tice Run (oldest in township)
Fox Settlement
Bloomfield/Flint's Mill (Laid out in 1840 by Porter Flint)
Carter
Hohman/Blue Bird
Little Muskingum Valley
Wingett Run, Shay Ridge, Armstrong Ridge, Northrup Run, McCormick Hill, Thomas Ridge, Griffin Hill, Silver Mine Run (later known as Campbells' Run)
-----POST OFFICES:
Fox Settlement (aka Hohman, and Blue Bird) 1880-1913.
Flint Mills (aka Bloomfield) 1833-1914.
Carter Feb. 25, 1899 to Oct. 15, 1904.
Wingett Run (established abt. 1874)
-----CEMETERIES: Bloomsfield, Hall (2nd oldest in twp.), Hood, Mullinex, Muskingum Valley, Graham, Provance, St. Patrick's, Smith, Wagner, Tice (oldest in twp.)
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: Little Muskingum River, Wingett Run, Sacket Run, Wilson Run, Tice Run, Haught Run, Rish Run, Edward's Run, Cedar Run, Hendershot Run, Long Run, Eddy Run, Wingate Run, Boston Run, Haught Run
-----STATE ROUTES: 26, 260
-----COUNTY ROADS: 406
-----BRIDGES: Rinard Covered Bridge - Built in 1871, located at the junction of Ohio 26 and Washington County 406
-----BOARDERS: Monroe County, Ohio (North); Grandview Twp. (East); Liberty Twp. (West); Grandview & Independence Twps. (South)
-----EARLY MILLS: James Tice owned a saw mill on the Little Muskingum River, above the mouth of Hendershot's Run.
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: All the early settlements in Ludlow Township were along the Little Muskingum. Solomon TICE, a blacksmith, farmer and hunter was the first settler in 1797 on the east side of the Little Muskingum about two miles below Bloomfield. Other early settlers were families named DEWEES, HERN, DICKSON, EDWARDS, O’HANLON, RINARD, MOORE, CLINE, FLINT, FOX, DAY, CAWLEY, HALL and WATSON.


MARIETTA TOWNSHIP
(Also see the Harmar Village & Pioneer Township)
Established on December 20, 1790. It was one of the three original townships. Originally Marietta Township consisted of Twps. 1, 2, & 3 in the 8th Range and Townships 2 & 3 in the 9th Range. Marietta was incorporated as a town in 1800, and became a "City of the Second Class" in October of 1853. In 1825 Marietta consisted of 3 wards. Marietta (1st & 3rd) and Harmar (2nd). In 1837 the west side of Marietta (Harmar, 2nd ward) seperated itself from Marietta and became Harmar Village. It reunited with Marietta in 1890. (See Harmar Village)
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Cornerville (once known as Netop)
Caywood
City of Marietta
Devola
Emerson
Fairview Heights (aka Harmar Hill)
Harmar (See Harmar Village)
Oak Grove
Unionville
Reno
Hills
Sandhill
Mile Run
Eisner's Landing,
Little Switzerland
Repparts Landing, Eisners Landing, Argan Landing, Reno Landing, Hills Landing, Valley Mills, Jennings Hill, Hadley Hollow, Sandhill
-----POST OFFICES:
Marietta
Harmar
Rood (before 1890)
Cornerville 1890-1891
Reno
-----CEMETERIES: Alcock, Dowling, Eastlawn Memorial/Valley, Ginsburg, Hadley, Harmar (same as the one in Harmar Village), Infimary, McGee, Miller, Whitney, Smith, St. Mary's, Oak Hill (Timothy & Sarah Cone)
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: Ohio River, Muskingum River, Little Muskingum River, Duck Creek, Second Creek, Tupper Creek, Indian Run, Devol Run, Rainbow Creek, March Run, Mill Run, Brush Run, Mile Run, Goose Creek, Coal Run, Tiber Creek
-----STATE ROUTES: 7, 26, 60 (Between Marietta & Newport. State Route 7 is aka "Newport Pike" or "The Pike").
-----COUNTY ROADS: 4, 9, 16, 17, 20, 50, 344, 348
-----INTERSTATE: 77
-----ISLANDS: Kerrs Island, now known as Buckley Island
-----BRIDGES: Hills Covered Bridge
-----DAMS: 1. Muskingum River Dam (between the Putnam St. & Train Bridges) This dam was removed in 1968 after the Ohio River pool level was raised by the modern dam system. 2. In Devola (Devol's Dam) Lock #2
-----BORDERS: Ohio River, West Virginia (South); Muskingum Twp. (Northwest); Fearing (Northeast), Warren (West)
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: Anselm TUPPER was first chairman of the township meetings. William STACY was overseer of the poor and Christopher BURLINGAME as the first constable. The town and township were the same for over 10 years--until Marietta was organized with town government. This plan continued until the town was incorporated in 1825. Pioneer residents of Marietta Township were the THORNILEY families. Cleab THORNILEY came from England to Marietta Township in 1795. He married Mary ALCOCK and both died in 1807. William THORNILEY came from England about the same time and lived in Marietta Township untill his death in 1827. Philip Van THORNILEY was born in New York City in 1799 and grew up in Marietta Township, where he spent the remainder of his life. These 3 THORNILEYS are the progenitors of all the THORNILEY families in this section today. Other early families of Marietta Township were the SMITH family,
descendants of SAMUEL B. SMITH who came to the township in 1816; the RACER’S, ALCOCK’S, MILLER’S, WEST’S, HARNESSES, SHEETS’ OLDS, McALISTER’S
and STEPHENSON.
-----UNDERGROUND RAILROAD: Marietta Station - The county seat of Washington County, Ohio, Marietta is located at the conflux of the Ohio and Muskingum Rivers. Marietta probably the best understood part of the Underground Railroad in Washington County because it was the county seat, and a fairly well organized newspaper was always present in Marietta. There were a number of known abolitionists in and close to Marietta. The most prominent Abolitionists in Marietta was David Putnam Jr. (Harmar Twp/Village) Others were African Americans Daniel Strawther, Jerry Jones, Tom Jerry and Marietta College Students. Of course many members of The Washington County (Ohio) Anti-Slavery Society ived in Marietta, and many of them also assisted fugitive slave when the need arose. Many Anti-Slavery Society members in Washington County, Ohio were prosperous farmers prominent business professionals who secretly used their positions and influence to help fugitive slaves. Across the Ohio River from Marietta, in Williamstown, Wood County, Virginia (West Virginia since 1863 ), there was a slave - code named -"Josephus". It is reported, that for many years Josephus delivered two or three fugitive slaves to the mouth of Duck Creek each month! Duck Creek is near where present day Inter-State #77 Highway bridge crosses the Ohio River from Ohio into West Virginia. It is a fact that Inter- State Highway #77 closely follows the former route of the Underground Railroad that led from Marietta to Cleveland.
Also see "Wilbur H. Siebert UGRR Collection, "Marietta, Ohio Abolitonist Activity", 1881 (From Ohio Memory website):
http://cdm267401.cdmhost.com/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/siebert&CISOPTR=9539&REC=1


MEIGSVILLE TOWNSHIP
Established April 1815. Incorporated into Morgan County when it was formed in 1819.


MIDDLETOWN TOWNSHIP
Laid out in the northern part of Washington County. Became part of Jefferson County in 1797.



MIDDLETOWN / MIDDLETON TOWNSHIP
Established December 1798. This Township was formed after the first Middletown township went to Jefferson Co. It laid in the Western part of Washington County, now part of Athens Township in Athens County.


MORGAN TOWNSHIP
Established in July of 1818. In 1819 was annexed to Morgan County when it was formed.


MUSKINGUM TOWNSHIP --- Township 2 & 3. Range 8 & 9
(Also see Adams, Fearing, Marietta & Union Townships)
Originally part of Adams Twp. Established on April 18, 1861 from parts of Fearing, Marietta & Union Twps. The name "Muskingum: is derived from the river which runs through the extent of the township. A part of Union Township was annexed to it in 1877. The territory forming the eastern boundary of the township and known as "THE RIDGE" because it divides the waters of Duck Creek from the Muskingum, was not generally settled until the late 1800's.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Bear Creek Allotment
Rainbow Creek Allotment (aka Rainbow. One of the 1st settlements in the township. Began April 29, 1795.)
Ferncliff
Oak Grove
Westview
Devol Terrace
Wiseman's Bottom/Devola Village (Wiseman's Bottom was one of the 1st settlements in the township.)
Pinchtown (Sometime after 1900, the name changed to Unionville because it had once been a part of Union Twp.)
Ridge Settlement (Far eastern part of the twp., where it divides Duck Creek from the Muskingum River. Many German families settled here)
Highland Ridge, Cedar Ridge, March Run Hill
-----Post Offices:
Alden
Devol's Dam 1881-1890
Alden (Established 1891. Formally Devol's PO)
Rainbow (Aug. 8, 1888-June 30,1913)
Devola Station (Opened July 1, 1956. An annex of Marietta PO)
-----CEMETERIES: Wiseman's Bottom, Evangelical, Putnam, Rainbow, Highland, Spears
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: Muskingum River, New Years Creek, Rainbow Creek, Marsh Run, Devol Run, Tupper Creek, Second Creek, Indian Run, Mill Creek
-----Dams: Devol's
-----STATE ROUTES: 60, 821
-----COUNTY ROADS: 4, 8, 79, 340, 341
-----INTERSTATE: 77
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: First settlements in Muskingum Township were made in Wiseman’s Bottom and at Rainbow. The Rainbow settlement was begun in 1795 by a company of Marietta settlers who had drawn lots on the western shore of the Muskingum. The first settlers at Rainbow were Israel STONE and family. Then came the STACY’S, DYAR’S and STOWE’S. The first settlers on Wiseman’s Bottom were Colonel Joseph BARKER, Israel PUTNAM, Captain Jonathan DEVOLand John RUSSELL. The Wiseman’s Bottom settlement had two noted ship builders, Colonel Joseph BARKER and Captain Jonathan DEVOL, who built sea going craft, and who also built the pioneer stockades.
-----UNDERGROUND RAILROAD: The Rainbow Station (Once in Union Twp) - Along the Muskingum River north of Marietta. The Rainbow Station was located 10 miles north Marietta were Rainbow Creek flows into the Muskingum. A staunch Abolitionists named Thomas Ridgeway helped nearly 100 fugitive slaves escape to freedom. Tragically many of Mr. Ridgeway's children and wives died young. Two sons were killed in the American Civil War! (This station would now be located in the present day of Muskingum Township)


NEWPORT TOWNSHIP --- Township 1, Range 6 and Township 2, Range 7.
(Also see Grandview Township)
Established on December 1798. Newport had its beginning 10 years after the Marietta settlement. At the regular meeting of the Court of Quarter Sessions in Marietta in 1798, a distinct township, "all that territory lying east of the western boundary of the Seventh Range," was set apart and named Newport Township. This included what is now the eastern third of Washington County. Six townships, including Newport Township, were within its original boundaries. In 1802 the extreme eastern part of Newport township was made separate and named Grandview. In 1815 the northern boundary was taken by Lawrence Township. Liberty in 1832, and Independence in 1840. Between the village of Newport & Newell's run there is a huge scenic view overlooking the Ohio River called "Mt. Dudley", after Dudley Woodbridge. This is where Dudley first wanted Harman Blennerhasset to build his mansion. Of course Harman did not build here. He chose "The Bluff", located on the Ohio River between Belpre Twp., and Parkersburg, Wood County, Virginia (now WV) instead. This "Bluff" is known as Blennerhasset Island.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Newport (founded 1798)
Upper Newport (aka the Upper Settlement)
Lower Newport (aka the Lower Settlement)
Bevin
Milltown/Rosedale
Ferguson's Landing
Eight Mile (named this because it is 8 miles from the courthouse)
Kinderhook
Murphy
Yankeeburg
Newells
Hills
Beech Grove
-----POST OFFICES:
Newport (Established Nov. 15, 1815)
Lower Newport (Established 1841)
Bevin (June 22, 1897-Sept. 8, 1832)
Dell (Aug. 1884-1919)
Newport (Established Nov. 15, 1815)
Maxon (May 1, 1901-Sept. 14, 1901)
Gracey (3 miles north in Lawrence twp. Established 1901)
Newell's Run (Established July 9, 1866)
Hills (Established Feb 2, 1869)
Murphy (July 27, 1882-Oct. 31, 1917)
-----CEMETERIES: Barker, Old Barker, Beech/Beech Grove, Beech Grove Baptist, Beech Grove Methodist, Beech Grove Presbyterian, Hearn, Newport, Pleasant
Hill, Yankeeburg/Sandhill, J. F. Goodman Farm, Racer, Hill, Kinderhook
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: Ohio River, Little Muskingum River, Eight Mile Run, Porter Run, Tadpole Run, Pot Pie Run, Long Run, Sheets Run, Allen Run, Burns Run, Newell Run, Bells Run, Kerr Run, Ferguson Run, Bolivian Run, Kesselring Run, Reynolds Run, Northrup Run, Lick Run, Peggs Fork
-----STATE ROUTES: 7
-----COUNTY ROADS: 554, 33, 9, 46, 20, 22, 47, 713, 25, 224
-----BRIDGES: Hills Covered Bridge. Built in 1878.
-----UNDERGROUND RAILROAD: Hoyt Station - The Hoyt Family owned a big farm along the Little Muskingum River, (not to be confused with the "big" Muskingum River which runs through Marietta), about 4 miles northeast of the Ohio River. From 1835 on, fugitive slaves came from the Ohio River to the Hoyt Station and were forwarded on to the Jewett Palmer Station in Liberty Township. (Henry Burke's map show this as being between Marietta & Newport Townships. Close to boarder)
-----BOARDERS: Ohio River (St. Mary's W. VA); (East & South); Marietta Twp. (West); Lawrence & Independence (North)
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: The DANA’S and the GREENE’S were the first settlers in what is Newport. Newport was laid out by Ebenezer BATTELLE, a graduate of Harvard University. As early as 1820 Joseph BARKER built a mill in Newport Township for the extraction of flax-seed oil and castor oil It worked for a while, but the cultivation of flax and the castor oil bean did not prove profitable. In later decades, Newport Township has been enriched by the petroleum industry.
-----UNDERGROUNDRAILROAD: The Newport Station - Newport, founded by Frank Newport was located 17 miles north east of Marietta on Ohio Route #7, and across the Ohio River from St. Marys and Vaucluse in Pleasants County, Virginia. Fugitive slaves who crossed he Ohio River into Newport were usually sent some fifteen miles north west to the Palmer Station.


NEWTOWN / NEWTON TOWNSHIP
Established December 1798. Was formed from Waterford. Now apart of Muskingum County. (Muskingum Co., formed in 1804)



OLIVE(R) GREEN TOWNSHIP
(Also see Waterford Twp.)
Established June 1817. The opening of the Donation Tract brought many people and the garrison at Fort Frye became too small to accommodate them. This led to the formation of the Olive Green colony a few miles above Beverly. It included Abel SHERMAN, who just before the end of the Indian War, was treacherously killed by the Shawnee Indian, "Silverheels." In 1819 Olive Green became part of Morgan County when formed in 1819. Later became Jackson Township, Noble County.


PLAINFIELD TOWNSHIP
(Also see Watertown Twp.)
Before 1790, Watertown was known by this name.



PALMER TOWNSHIP --- Township 8, Range 11.
(Also see Barlow, Roxbury, Wesley & Watertown Twps)
Established on May 19, 1851 from parts of Roxbury, Wesley, Watertown and Barlow Townships. The township is named after it’s founder, Joseph Palmer, Sr. who served in the Revolutionary War at the age of 16. He & Joseph Rice purchased the land from Ephraim Cutler at Amesville on August 8, 1802. In 1807 Joseph served in the Ohio Legislature. Prior to the formation of Noble County in 1851, a man standing on the northeast corner of section 6, now in Palmer, could have placed himself by a single step, either north-east in Watertown, southeast in Barlow , southwest in Wesley, or northwest in Roxbury. From this point the dividing lanes ran toward the four points of the compass in two straight lines through the present township. But by the formation of Noble, Morgan County lost large areas, and was partially recompensed by the addition of the larger part of Roxbury, with parts of other townships just mentioned, were consolidated into a new township, named Palmer.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows): Dale, Oak Hill
-----POST OFFICES:
Brown's Mills was the first post office in the township. It ran from March 6, 1819 to June 30 1903. Samuel BROWN was the first postmaster. At that time there was no post office between Harmar and Brown’s Mills.
Big Bottom was the post office on July 12, 1834. On January 26, 1838 the post office moved to Morgan County, Ohio and renamed Stockport.
Stockport (formally known as Big Bottom Post Office)
-----CEMETERIES: Corns, Dale/Fairview (extreme NW corner of twp.), Fairview, Palmer/Gard (1st in the twp.), Hiett, Murdock, Corns
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: West & South Forks/Branches of Wolf Creek, Whitewater Creek
-----STATE ROUTES: 676
-----COUNTY ROADS: 6, 18, 222
-----BRIDGES: Shinn Covered Bridge - Built in 1886, located about 1 mile north of Washington Co Rd. 18.
-----BOARDERS: Wesley (West), Morgan County, Ohio (Northwest), Watertown (Northeast), Barlow (East), Fairfield (South)
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: The first pioneer who settled in what is Palmer Township was Christopher MALSTER. He came in 1796. Other pioneer settlers were the PALMER’S, GUARD/GARD’S, RICE’S, PERRY’S, SMITH’S, PATTEN’S, BRECKENRIDGE’S, STACY’S, TROTTER’S, GRAHAM’S, MURDOCK’S, GREENLEE’S, FERGUSON’S, DALEY’S, HUTCHINSON’S, AND HICKMAN’S. The Scotch settlement, which owned its existence to Nahum WARD of
Marietta, began in 1820 with the coming of John and Hugh BRECKENRIDGE. Then followed Hugh GREENLESS, David FERGUSON, Duncan DRAIN and Robert
BRECKENRIDGE.


PIONEER TOWNSHIP
(Also see Marietta Township)
The 23rd township. Established June 6, 1967 this is known as the City of Marietta. Marietta City had always been a part of Marietta Township. Because of the change, Marietta, Warren, Muskingum, and Fearing townships were decreased in size.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Norwood
Harmar Hill
West Side (Harmar, Harmar Hill & Fairview Heights)
Some of Mile Run
-----POST OFFICES: Marietta
-----CEMETERIES: Mound, Harmar, St. Mary's (old & new), Oak Grove, Children's Home
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: Ohio River, Muskingum River, Tiber Creek
-----STATE ROUTES: 7 (Pike, Greene, 3rd, & Washington Streets); 26 (Greene Street); 60 (Muskingum Drive)
-----COUNTY ROADS: 351 (Colgate Drive); 375 (Glendale Road)
-----Interstate: 77
-----BOARDERS: Williamstown, WV (Ohio River), Also see Marietta Twp.


PLAINFIELD TOWNSHIP
(Also see Waterford Township)
Established December 20, 1790 one of the original three Townships. Later the name was changed to Waterford.


ROXBURY TOWNSHIP
(Also see Palmer Township)
Established in 1806. It was dissolved in 1851 with parts going to Noble County, Morgan County, and Palmer Township.


SALEM TOWNSHIP --- Township 4, Range 8.
(Also see Fearing, Salem, & Aurelius Townships)
Established on December 5, 1797 from Adams Twp. The 1st boundary change was made March 8, 1808 when Fearing Twp. was formed, cutting away 3 miles on the south end. On the same day, the west range was attached to Salem Twp. The 2nd change was in December of 1818 when Aurelius Twp. was formed. Sections 25, 26, 27 & fractions of 34, 35, & 36 was annexed to Aurelius.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Lower Ox-Bow
Upper Ox-Bow
Virgin Bottom
Lower Salem (established 1850)
Whipple
Harrietsville
Ogle Hollow
Paw Paw
Warner (established abt. 1873)
Bonn Village (Oldest village. Established abt. 1835 and named by the German settlers for the city of Bonn on the Rhine)
Whipple
Duck Creek Allotment
Bear Creek Allotment
Tick Ridge, Ogle Hollow
-----POST OFFICES: Whipple, Lower Salem
-----CEMETERIES: Good Hope, Lower Salem, Lutheran, Methodist, Mt. Ephraim, Porter, Schruber, Thompson, Warner, Warren, Pigeon Creek, Bonn/German Methodist, Wesley, Jackson, St. James, Tick Ridge, Varner, Feldner
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: Bear Creek, Cattle Creek, Duck Creek, East & West Forks/Branches of Duck Creek, Whipple Run, Paw Paw Creek, Goulds Run, Peakers Run, Cairns Run
-----STATE ROUTES: 145, 530, 821
-----COUNTY ROADS: 8, 11, 15
-----UNDERGROUND RAILROAD:
1.) Hovey Station - The Hovey Station was located on Duck Creek in Salem Township at Lower Salem. Fugitive slaves arrived at the Hovey Station from Marietta, Stanleyville, where Hovey had relatives, or from the Rainbow Station located to the west along the Muskingum River. The were usually passed north to Macksburg or northwest to Middleburg in Noble County and sometimes northeast to Stafford in Monroe County.
2.) The Gould Station - Located just north of Lower Salem, Ephraim Gould took fugitive slaves from Harvey Hovey at nearby Lower Salem and passed them north to Stafford in Monroe County, or northwest to Middleburg in Noble County.
-----BOARDERS: Noble County, Ohio (North); Aurelius Twp. (North); Liberty Twp. (East); Adams Twp (West); Fearing & Muskingum Twps. (South)
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: The first settler in Salem township was Amos PORTER, one of the 48 Marietta pioneers. He was followed by the NASH’S, DELONG’S, McCUNE’S, TALLMAN’S, FULTON’S, DAVIS’, TRUE’S, PERKIN’S, ALLEN’S, STANLEY’S and CHAPMAN’S. John TRUE taught school in the township in 1807. Elisha ALLEN erected a saw mill and a grist mill on Duck Creek before 1820, these mills being in the "Lower Oxbow." On the "Upper Oxbow", S. N. MERRIAM built steam saw and grist mills 10 years later. Lower Salem was laid out in 1850 at the end of a plank road from Marietta. The toil house there was the first building in the village. Warner was laid out by P. and E. BOYE in 1873, and was named for General A. J. WARNER of Marietta.


TUSKARAWA TOWNSHIP
Established 1802. In 1808 it became part of Tuscarawas County. In 1811 part was annexed to Coshocton County.


UNION TOWNSHIP --- Township 3, Range 9.
(Also see Wooster, Adams, Muskingum, Warren & Watertown Twps.)
Established 1812. In 1813 part was annexed to Wooster. In 1877, this township was dissolved. Parts went to Adams, Muskingum, Warren and Watertown Townships.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Wisemans Bottom / Devola
Rainbow (Now in Muskingum Twp)
Bear Creek
Pinchtown (Now in in Muskingum Twp. Sometime after 1900, the name changed to Unionville because it had once been a part of Union Twp)
Marsh Run Hill
-----POST OFFICES: Uniontown (Established 1875. Later named Churchtown because when Union Twp was dissolved in 1877 it was annexed to Watertown Twp.)
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: Muskingum River, Rainbow Creek
-----CEMETERIES: [See Adams, Muskingum, Warren, and Watertown Twps.]
-----UNDERGROUND RAILROAD: The Rainbow Station - Along the Muskingum River north of Marietta. The Rainbow Station was located 10 miles north Marietta were Rainbow Creek flows into the Muskingum. A staunch Abolitionists named Thomas Ridgeway helped nearly 100 fugitive slaves escape to freedom. Tragically many of Mr. Ridgeway's children and wives died young. Two sons were killed in the American Civil War! (This station would now be located in the present day of Muskingum Township)


WARREN TOWNSHIP
(The 1st Warren Twp.)
Laid out to the west of the Pennsylvania line. This township was used to establish Jefferson County in 1797.


WARREN TOWNSHIP --- Township 1, Range 9 and Township 2 Range 9.
(The 2nd Warren Township)
(Also see Barlow, Wooster, Dunham & Union Townships)
Established on September 10, 1810. Before it was established, the township was a squatter settlement known as Nozeltown or Nogletown. The boundaries have frequently been changed. The 'original' township consisted from the Ohio River (between 9 & 9th Ranges), north of said line to the northeast corner of Township 2, Range 9,Section 25 thence north to the northwest corner of section 17 in the same township. Sometime after 1813 a personal quarrel between 2 prominent citizens resulted in a tract 1/2 mile wide and 2 miles long being set off and annexed to Barlow twp. In 1812 part of Wooster was annexed to Warren. When Dunham Township was formed in 1855 it took a considerable amount from Warren. In 1877 the partitionment of Union Twp. added 4 more sections to the north of Warren.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Nozeltown/Nogletown (A squatter settlement before 1810)
Constitution (founded on January 24, 1824. Established Jan. 21, 1891)
Tunnel (Established 1855)
Locust Forks
-----POST OFFICES:
Barber July 8, 1852 to October 11, 1859.
Bate (was the post office on April 12, 1882, which became Gravel Bank post office on April 23, 1871 or 1891)
Gravel Bank 1871 to 1914. Formally was Bate post office.
Harmar (Actually in Marietta [Harmar] Township, but some Warren residents also used this post office.)
-----CEMETERIES: Bethel, Brabham, Christopher, Gravel Bank/Riverview, Tunnel, Warren Chapel, Pine Ridge, Harris, Fulcher
-----Creeks, Streams, Rivers, Ridges & Runs: Ohio River, East Branch of Little Hocking River, Mile Run, Scott's Run, Bailey's Run, Horse Run, Turkey Hen Creek, Brown's Run, Wolf Creek (forms at the northwest part of the township)
-----STATE ROUTES: 7, 550 (old 50A)
-----COUNTY ROADS: 10
-----ISLANDS: Vienna Island, Muskingum Island -----UNDERGROUND RAILROAD:
1.) Constitution Station - Founded in 1806 by Judge Ephraim Cutler, Constitution was the only community with a zip code registered under that name by the U.S. Postal Service until the post office was closed in 1978.Underground Railroad workers Jules Deming in and Dyar Burgesses helped operate the Constitution Underground Railroad Station. Judge Ephraim Cutler, eldest son of Manasseh Cutler, came to Marietta, Washington County, Northwest Territory, (Ohio) in 1795 and was appointed a Territorial Judge. He next moved to Waterford, about twenty miles north of Marietta on the Muskingum River, where be briefly engaged in the mercantile business, before moving to Ames Township and founding Amesville in 1797. Amesville is in present day Athens County, Ohio. Judge Cutler was elected as one of three delegates to represent Washington County at the Ohio Constitutional Convention, held at Chillicothe in 1802. Judge Cutler clearly had anti-slavery sentiments. At the Ohio Statehood Convention, Judge Cutler lobbied extensively against a proposal to legalize slavery in the new state of Ohio. When the ballots were counted, the proposal to legalize slavery in Ohio was vetoed by a single vote! In 1806 Judge Cutler moved his family from Ames Township to Warren Township along the Ohio River midway between Marietta and Belpre where he founded the community of Constitution. In Constitution he established a profitable stone quarry. From his experience as a Territorial Judge, Statehood Convention Delegate, State Legislator and founding Trustee at Ohio University, Judge Cutler had contacts with people all around Ohio. Along with other anti-slavery advocates, Judge Ephraim Cutler helped formulated the covert plans to circumvent the unjust Fugitive Slave Law of 1793, and help fugitive slaves reach Canada. This was the beginning of the Ohio Underground Railroad. Situated directly across the Ohio River from Wood County, Virginia, were there were a number of enslaved African Americans, Constitution became an early Underground Railroad Station.
2.) The Tunnel Station - A "free" black man simply identified by the name of Logan, operated a station at the top of "4 Mile Hill" located west of Marietta on present day Ohio State Route #550. Only in Extreme emergencies, fugitive slaves were rushed to the Tunnel Station. Conductors tried to get fugitive slaves as far from the Ohio River as quickly as possible before they had to hide from bounty hunters and reward seekers during the day. Sometimes when things didn't go so too good, quick action had to be taken in a hurry and the Tunnel Station was more or less an emergency stop on the Underground Railroad.
-----BORDERS: East: Marietta Twp; West: Barlow Twp.; Northeast: Muskingum Twp; Northwest: Watertown Twp. South: Ohio River, Wood Co., WV
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: The first permanent settlers in Warren were the BALIEY’S, NEWTON’S, COLE’S, HUMPHREY’S, CUTLER’S and FINCH’S. Warren Township may be called the "grindstone township" of Washington County. First settlers included Ephraim CUTLER, Isaac HUMPHREY, Ezekiel FINCH, Thomas DICKEY, Philip COLE, Willard GREENE, James H. DEMING, Eilas NEWTON, Seth BAILEY, John SKIPTON, William STAGE, William PERDEW, Colonel T. W. MOORE, Thomas DRAIN, Henry McEVOY, Robert HANNA. Other early settlers included the COFFMAN’S, MILLER’S, PINKERTON’S, MANKINS’ JOHNSON’S, FOSTER’S, McMAHAN’S, CHRISTY’S, HOLDEN’S, HARRIS’, MERCER’S, THOMAS’, DAVIS’, KAYLOR’S, HART’S, ROEPER’S, MELLOR’S, SIEBERT’S, TRATCHELL’S, and BRABHAM’S.


WATERFORD TOWNSHIP --- Township 5, Range 10.
(See also Plainfield Twp.)
Established December 20, 1790. Waterford originally consisted Township 7 & 8, Range 11; Townships 4 & 5, Range 10; and one mile square in Township 4, Range 9, Section 33. Before 1790 it was known as Plainfield Township and was the second settlement of Marietta pioneers who colonized outlying areas near Marietta made in a "Donation Tract" in what is Waterford Township in 1789, shortly after the Belpre settlement was made. The entire area of what is Waterford Township was in this tract in the original Ohio land subdivisions for Revolutionary War soldiers. The tract was not included in the Ohio Company Purchase, but was set apart by act of Congress for military bounty settlers. The Ohio Company surveyed and allotted the lands to the settlers. Thirty-nine families were in the group that made the Beverly-Waterford settlement 20 miles up the Muskingum. Requirements for the settlers in the tract were that they build houses within five years, set out fruit trees, clear meadows and pastures for stock raising and generally cultivate the soil on their 100-acre tracts allotted them. They were also required to have fire-arms. In 1875 it was in Twp. #5 Range 10
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Waterford Village
Coal Run (Founded on September 13, 1837. Lower end of Round Bottom)
Beverly
Wolf Creek Mills
Wolf Creek
Ludlow
Olive Green
Sherman Station
Muskingum Allotment
Swift(s)
Relief
Federal Bottom (The extensive level tract of land on the WEST side of the Muskingum River east of the village of Beverly)
Round Bottom (The lower bottom of the township on the EAST side of the Muskingum River. Settled early 1795)
Tick Hill
Luke Chute
Lowell Hill
Righteous Ridge
Elk Run Allotment
Muskingum Allotment
-----POST OFFICES:
Waterford (established March 8, 1811)
Beverly (established March 24, 1838)
McIntosh (established abt. 1835-1837)
Coal Run (established 1839)
Luke Chute
Parker
Swifts
Relief
Gingerpoint
Beckett Station (Jan. 23, 1888 to Oct. 16, 1893 Then called Beckett from October 16, 1893 to May 22, 1936)
Limburg (Between Waterford & Lowell. Home of Frank & Jessie McNeal in 1891).
-----CEMETERIES: Beckett, Benjamin, Beverly, Brentnell, Cedar Hill/Ridge, Center Memorial Church, Coal Run, Davis Fleming, Delong, Devol, Doland, Gates, Gelb, Greenman, Hayward, Milnor, Morris, Nixon, Powers, Relief/Delong, Cushing/Round Bottom, Salem, Stump, White/Swifts/Minor, VanClief, Vincent, Waterford, Bacon Farm, Gilmore, Olive Green, Grubb, Ross, St. John's Evan/Lutheran, Congress Run, Curry Napier, Tick Ridge, Waterman, Wolf Creek Chapel
-----Creeks, Streams, Rivers, Ridges & Runs: Wolf Creek, Olive Green Creek, Stillbrook (now known as Hanford or Hayward's Run), Congress Run; Flint Run, Boseman Duck Creek, Cushing Run, Elk Run, Muskingum River
-----DAMS: Beverly (Lock #4) & Luke Chute (Lock #5)
-----STATE ROUTES: 60, 83, 339
-----COUNTY ROADS: 4, 6, 32, 60, 102, 109, 174, 802
-----GARRISONS:
1.) Tyler Block-House: This block-house was the only building on the "Peninsula" during the Indian War. It was occupied by Major Dean Tyler.
Block House at Beverly: Danger of Indians lurking about made it necessary for the new settlement to be compact. Cabins were built on both sides of the Muskingum and a block house was built on the Beverly side for protection. The men organized themselves into "militia," without much fear until the news came for the Big Bottom massacre, a few miles above, in January of 1791. The terror spread and the men of the colony began at once to build fort Frye on the Waterford side of the Muskingum. It served as the principal fortification for the pioneers of the Muskingum Valley during the Indian War.
2.) Fort Frye Triangular: Fort Frye was constructed in the shape of an irregular triangle with its base extending 200 feet along the Muskingum River and not far back from the river. Three substantial two-story houses were built of logs at the angles of the triangle and these served for block houses with sentinels. Log houses were built along the sides connecting with the block houses and their outer walls served for walls of the fort. Less than an acre of ground was covered by the fort. Fort Frye was named for Colonel Joseph FRYE, who served as a drummer boy at the Battle of Bunker Hill in the Revolutionary War. He was principally responsible for building Fort Frye, and for the abandonment of the earlier inadequate block house. During the Indian War the settlers in Fort Frye worked in their fields in groups and were always armed. Their guns were stacked in the middle of the fields, guarded by sentinels. They were harassed by the Indians who came occasionally and drove off the cows which ranged in the woods. The fort was so substantial and the settlers so cautious that they escaped without depredations. -----ISLANDS: Dana Island
-----BORDERS: Morgan County, Ohio (North & West); Adams (East); Watertown (South)
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: Families which lived in Fort Frye included those of Captain William GRAY, Major John WHITE, Major Phineas COBURN, who was one of the 48 Marietta pioneers, Judge Gilbert DEVOL, Benjamin SHAW, Joshua SPRAGUE, William SPRAGUE, Noah FEARING, Harry MAXON, Daniel DAVIS, David WILSON, Benjamin BEADLE, Jeremiah WILSON, George WILSON, Andrew STORY, Daniel CONVERS, Allen DEVOL, who was one of the 48 Marietta pioneers, Wanton DEVOL, Colonel Joseph FRYE, Asa COBURN, Dean TYLER, Andrew WEBSTER, Neal McGUFFEY, Andrew McCLURE, William McCULLOUGH, William NEWELL, Samuel CUSHING, Jabez BARLOW and Nathan HINKLEY. Ephraim CUTLER, son of Dr. Manesseh CHTLER, on of the Marietta pioneers lived in Fort Frye in the cabin of Daniel Davis for a short time. Others lived in the fort for short periods. The site of Fort Frye many be visualized by the traveler on the highway a short distance below Beverly corporation line who looks across the Muskingum directly into the break in the range of the hills. Near the river bank, in the foreground, stood Fort Frye. Work on Muskingum River improvements made by the state of Ohio between 1837 and 1842, when the stationary dams were built between Zanesville and Marietta, brought to Beverly-Waterford communities many workmen. Beverly at once developed into a village with houses, stores and industries. John DODGE laid out the plat of what was the beginning of Beverly village and named the place Beverly, in honor of his native home, Beverly, Mass. The village was incorporated in 1845 and is the oldest incorporated village in Washington County at the present time. Beverly postoffice was established a century ago, when John KEYHOE was appointed the first postmaster in 1838. The first bank in Beverly was opened in 1863. The first store in Beverly was opened in 1837 by Colonel E. S. McINTOSH. Oliver TUCKER opened a hardware store in 1855. Dr. A. S. CLARK established a drug store in 1856 and Dr. Joseph PARKER on in 1865. J. B. BAIN opened the first shoe store in Beverly in 1850. A woolen mill was built in 1849, known as the Beverly Woolen Mills. A foundry and machine shop was opened by John DODGE in 1852, and this was the nucleus for the later W. F. ROBERTSON Company. this concern moved to Marietta in later years and after reorganization became the Marietta Manufacturing Company which went to Point Pleasant, W. Va., about 20 years ago. Grist mills have been numberous in the Beverly and Waterford communities. A valuable feature in the economic geology of Waterford Township was the heavy coal seam in what is the Coal Run area. Beverly Academy as one of the outstanding educational institutions was established February, 1843. Beverly High School is one of the older village high schools in Washington County school system. Earliest Beverly churches were the Methodist, organized in 1852, and the Church of the Disciples. Waterford, which is not incorporated, has its own churches, a high school in the Washington County school system, a bank and other commercial enterprises. Mt. Moriah Lodge No. 37. Free and Accepted Masons, was established at Waterford in 1816 and has its Masonic hall in Beverly. Other fraternal organizations were organized later. Waterford Grange is one of the flourishing early granges in Washington County. Beverly has had a newspaper for the greater part of the time since 1852. The Beverly Dispatch has been in existence since 1879.
-----UNDERGROUND RAILROAD: The Waterford Station - Waterford is located on the Muskingum River, about 12 miles north of Barlow and about 24 miles north of the Ohio River. There is an interesting story about the Waterford Station of the Underground Railroad. The story starts with the notorious Aaron Burr/Conspiracy to invade Spanish Territory in the southwest, that involve slave owner Harman Blennerhasset who owned a 700 acre plantation on Blennerhasset Island, located in the middle of the Ohio River between Belpre, Ohio and Parkersburg, West Virginia. The plot was foiled and Blennerhasset Island Plantation was burned to the ground in 1806. Micah Cajoe Phillips was a slave on Blennerhasset Plantation. When Harman Blennerhasset was detained by the Federal Government in 1806 and taken to Richmond, Virginia to testify as a material witness, his wife Margaret Blennerhasset was forced to flee the island plantation. Cajoe Phillips elected to take his leave, and settle on a small farm near Wolf Creek at Waterford As the ears passed, Cajoe began to help fugitive slaves passing through on the Underground Railroad soon began to pass that way. Cajoe lived to be 120 years old according to the inscription on his tombstone!


WATERTOWN TOWNSHIP --- Township 4, Range 10.
(See also Wooster & Union Townships)
Established June 4, 1806. Largest township in Washington County. This township was first known as Wooster Township. In a later meeting of the county commissioners set off of Waterford and attached to Wooster that part of the town of Waterford lying in Township 3, Ranges 10 & 11 and so much of Township 8, Range 11 as it lies south of the West Branch of Wolf Creek. In 1813, Sections 31-36 of Union Township wee set off and annexed to Wooster. The name was changed from Wooster to Waterford on December 6, 1824. This was done to avoid confusion with Wooster Twp. in Wayne Co., Ohio. Watertown was named in honor of Sherman Waterman who was killed by the Indians in 1795. In 1877 Watertown received part of Union Twp. when it was dissolved. It included the whole of Twp. 3, Range 9, Sections 31-36. This tract was originally part of Marietta & Adams Twps. Watertown as it existed before 1813 had originally been a part of Waterford.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Rainbow Creek Allotment
Wolf Creek Allotment (settled 1797)
Waterford Allotment
South Branch Allotment
West Branch Allotment
Churchtown (founded 1866 as Uniontown because it was in Union Township then.)
Barlow
Watertown (The village of Watertown sprang up at the intersection of the Marietta-Lancaster road and the road from Waterford)
Wiseman's Bottom (now Devola in Muskingum Twp.)
Rosner Ridge, Pine Ridge, Sand Ridge
-----POST OFFICES:
Watertown (established 1828)
Uniontown (established 1875. Matthew JURDEN was the first postmaster. This post office was later named Churchtown because when Union Twp was dissolved in 1877 it was annexed to Watertown Twp.)
Churchtown 1888-1907
-----CEMETERIES: Ave Maria, Cajoe's Grave, Deming, Henry, Johnson/Vanmeter, Lutheran, North Watertown, Pleasant Grove, St. John's, Stanley, Watertown, Woodruff, Nixon, Radacker, Johnson, Wolcott
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: South & West Branches of Wolf Creek, Browns Mill, Rainbow Creek, Plum Run
-----STATE ROUTES: 339, 676
-----COUNTY ROADS: 2, 4, 6, 109, 174, 183, 453, 803
-----COVERED BRIDGES: Harra Covered Bridge, located on Twp. Rd. 172. Built in 1878.
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMATION: The village of Watertown sprang up at the intersection of the Marietta-Lancaster road and the road from Waterford. The first school in Watertown was taught by Nathaniel GATES in 1799. The first store in Watertown was opened by Abijah BROOKS in 1826. He was also the first postmaster. He built the Exchange Hotel in Harmar in 1837. Matthew JURDEN was the first postmaster at Churchtown in 1875. Scotch emigrants came to Watertown Township after 1830. The BRECKENRIDGE’S came here from Argyleshire, and the family is a large one which is represented today in relationship of many of the residents of the township. The annual Harvest Home picnic which has been a home coming event at Watertown for the past 56 years, has brought together reunions of families. The WOLCOTT’S, BINGHAM’S, CUTTER’S, MARTIN’S, FISHER’S, and others are old-time families of Watertown. The late Dr. Seth HART, pioneer physician in Harmar, practiced his profession at Watertown before coming to Harmar in 1825. At Wolf Creek Mills, the famous Red Riding Hood Flour was discovered.


WOOSTER TOWNSHIP
(Also see Watertown, Wooster, & Union Townships)
The initial settlement was in 1789, but established June 4, 1806, was later renamed Watertown on December 6, 1824. In 1806 it included only the 4th Twp in the 10th Range. The county commissioners later set off of Waterford and attached to Wooster that part of the town lying in the 3rd Twp. of the 11th Range, and some of the 8th Twp. of the 11th Range as lies south of the west branch of Wolf Creek. In Sept. 1813 6 sections (31-36) of Union Twp. was annexed to Wooster.


WESLEY TOWNSHIP --- Township 7, Ranges 11 & 12. Township 8 Range 11.
(Also see Wooster, Roxbury, & Fairfield Twps.)
Established Aug 12, 1810. Originally embraced Township #3, Range 10 and Township #7, Range 11 then belonging to Wooster. Also the south half of Township #8, Range 11 belonging to Roxbury. Afterwards section of #1, 2, & 3 of Township #8. In 1826 the first recorded township recorded then 94 names, included what is now Fairfield Township.
-----COMMUNITIES & SETTLEMENTS (Includes Ridges, Hills, and Hollows):
Bartlett originally 3 sections: 1. Pleasanton 2. Plymouth 3. East Plymouth (founded March 17, 1834)
Dale (boarders Palmer Twp. & Morgan Co., Ohio)
Patten Mills
Tabor Ridge, Middle Ridge, Mayle Ridge
Pleasanton (was named by Henry Smith's father (James Ward Smith) and brother (Milton) because they thought another county would develop from Washington. So they laid off the western part of the township and gave it the name of "Pleasanton" because it was "a pleasant place to live.")
-----POST OFFICES:
Bartlett (founded on March 17, 1834) Because there were other post offices in Ohio by the names of Plymouth (founded 1835 by Henry Smith) and Pleasantown the names were dropped and was called "Bartlett" after Amos Bartlett, the 1st postmaster.
Dale 1897-1903
-----CEMETERIES: Bartlett, Bartlett Friends/Quaker, Burt, Coler, Hobson, Laze, Liberty, Norris, Schrader, Southland, Southland Mission, Wesleyan, Wilson, Smith, Union, Wesley Methodist, Cody, Fairview Church
-----STREAMS, CREEKS, RIVERS & RUNS: West branch of Wolf Creek enters in the extreme Northwest corner, Coal Run, Aldridge Run, Walnut Run, Laurel
Run, Brill Run, Wildcat Run
-----STATE ROUTES: 676, 555, 550
-----COUNTY ROADS: 197, 206, 99, 96
-----BOARDERS: Morgan County, Ohio (North); Palmer & Fairfield twps. (East); Decatur twp. (South)
-----EARLY SETTLERS & OTHER INFORMAION: This is NOT a complete list, but some of those who settled in the Early 1800's: Thomas Ewing; Moses Woodruff (PA); John & Henry Rardin; James Ward Smith; James Waldo Smith, Jr.; Robert Brackenridge; Jacob Mullen; William Coaley; Solomon Gable; Joseph Ames; Levi Arnold (b. 1801 in Virginia. Lived in Wood Co. Virginia. d. Missouri); Soloman N. Cook (came from NH in 1814); Philip Schrader (b. in Maryland); George Martin (b. 1780 in Scotland); Steven Randolph; Milton D. Fowler (came to Wesley in 1838); James King (b. 1818 in PA. Removed to Morgan Co. 1844); John L. Brill (b. 1801 in PA); James Bowman (b. Dec. 1818 in Stark Co., Ohio); John Morris (b. 1790 in NC); Gideon Mills (b. in NC. Settled Wash. Co. in 1839); Robert Williams (b. 1813); John Spears (b. 1813 in PA); Job Addis (b. 1816 in Fayette Co., PA); Elisha J. Holloway (b. 1819 in Belmont Co., Ohio); James Morrow (b. 1796 in PA.); E. Hollingsworth (b. 1827 in Columbiana Co., Ohio); John Zumbro (came from PA in 1848); Herny S. Barnes (b. 1810 in Greene Co., PA.); Richard J. Barton (b. 1824 in Guernsey Co., Ohio); Jason Williams (b. 1845 in PA.). The Bartlett Academy was founded in 1856.
-----UNDERGROUND RAILROAD: The Bartlett Station - Located in the western part of Washington County north of Cutler, the Bartlett Underground Railroad Station operated by Uriah Bailey, William Hale and a number of "free mulattos" that lived in the area, took in passengers coming from Underground Railroad Station near the Ohio River and passed them along to next Station 12 miles north at the Quaker Community at Chester Hill, in Morgan County, Ohio. (Also listed in the Fairfield Township section of these NOTES)


REFERENCES USED TO COMPILE THIS DATABASE:
Washington County Ohio to 1980, WCHS
Washington County, Ohio 1788-1881, H. Z. Williams & Bros.

History of Marietta & Washington County, OH, Martin R. Andrews, MA, 1902
Files of Henry Burke, UGRR Historian, Author, Lecturer
1875 Washington County, Ohio Atlas
Washington County, Ohio Map, Fremont Printing Inc., 2003
Marietta Daily Times - Thursday April 7, 1938
GNIS website

Articles | Books | Contact | Families | First Families | Genealogy  | Geography | History | Home | Links | Meetings | Membership | Officers | Projects | Publications | Research | Societies | Towns